Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sunpainting in Honduras

Nuevo Paraiso, Honduras, C.A.
July, 2006





In 2006, I was asked to fly to the worlds' most dangerous airportTegucigalpa

Honduras, on a humanitarian mission with a group of swell people from Shaker Hts, Ohio.
Arrived with my two-50 lb bags packed with a mega-load of donated and purchased items malaria drugs 
and 
3 changes of clothes, one pair of red crocs and a pair flip flops 
and 
mosquito tent.

I found myself situated in a hot, humid, little village with not a thing familiar to me. Except smiling faces of glorious women and children.

Don't drink the water, you'll get parasites and probably die
Don't pet the dogs, you'll get parasites and probably die
Don't leave the compound outside the gates, you'll probably die

This is a what I did do and NOBODY else has ever done since. Trust me, medical brigades arrive here often.
I spent all my time with woman and children who, because of previous physical abuses by men including beatings, rapes and the like, have come to live in this safe haven.
The remaining members of my travel group built an orphanage (away from me). I was solamente yo!
Here are a few pic's 
Disfrute!


All the "stuff" you see in the pics are things I brought. They didn't and don't have a darn thing. 
I guessed at what to bring.












all pics © Christine Mauersberger
Sunpainting in Honduras for one week of heaven. 
No cell phones, no TV, no electricity (sometimes) I lost 10 lbs and gained insight to possibilities.

5 comments:

  1. that was a Good Thing to be doing
    beautiful smiles and the joy of making

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful article. It certainly looks like the women and children are finding a little slice of peace as well. The sun prints are very interesting. I need to try this just to know how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such an amazing opportunity and experience
    from which i imagine all participants benefited
    and will be long remembered

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was determined to return. Alas, I've only been able to send supplies from time to time. My hubby asked that I never leave him for that length of time in a country where I didn't have access to cell phone or email. I think about the women almos every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for this.
    now I am thinking about them

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy reading comments!